Re: Infinite loop bug in the validator...

From: Bless Terje <link@rito.no>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:10:00 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
[ A thousand apologies if this message is crappily formatted. ]
[ I'm stuck using MS Outlook at work.                         ]

>Try to validate www.premier-ministre.gouv.fr [and] the validator starts
>an infinite loop and says:
>
>Error at line 7:
>(truncated) (truncated)
>
>                                     Non SGML character number 0

You are right that there is a bug in the validator, but the bug is related
to the fact that it reports this as occuring in line 7. What is _not_ a bug
is the error message it gives. That page contains a, pardonmyfrench,
*shitload* of embedded ASCII NUL characters trailing one of the lines. It's
not an "infinite loop" either (but I don't blame you for think it was; that
was *lot* of errors!). If you have a little patience, you'll find it reports
the error for each NUL and then goes on with the rest of the document.

I can't off the top of my head think of a way to handle this -- maybe a
chokepoint for number of errors? -- or why the line numbers are off, but
I'll give it a whirl and see if I come up with anything.

Gerald, did you have any ideas about why line numbers are off sometimes (cf.
comments in source/CVS log)? Somewhere I could start looking?