Re: What is "validation"?

From: Uriel Wittenberg <uw@urielw.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 23:47:54 -0400
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
CC: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
Terje Bless wrote:

> On 08.10.99 at 13:33, Uriel Wittenberg <uw@urielw.com> wrote:
>
> >what does the validator validate, beyond adherence to the DTD?
>
> Nothing.

> it won't label the document as valid unless it contains a DOCTYPE. This
> is because the DOCTYPE isn't a requirement of the DTD,

Well, sorry, but the above statements are contradictory.

I'm sorry if some people are terribly exasperated by this. But this is a
validator mail list, after all. It's fair to ask what the validator does. It's
been asserted that the validator merely checks adherence to the DTD. It does
more. It evidently verifies 2 distinct conditions:

- presence of !DOCTYPE
- adherence to the DTD referenced by the !DOCTYPE

And ... nothing else. Right?

Of course, it would be perfectly feasible to have a specific "validator" for
any given DTD to obviate the necessity of !DOCTYPE. But I'm not suggesting
this. The more the validator can do to verify adherence to the entire
recommendation (not just the DTD) the better.

--
http://www.urielw.com/