Re: W3C supposed to have something to do with STANDARDS

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 01:36:29PM -0400, Uriel Wittenberg wrote:
> Terje Bless wrote:
> > Do you want the W3C to refuse the use of the badges to anyone
> > who hasn't passed the W3C Validator, regardless of the page's
> > validity? That seems counter-productive to me. You'll only limit
> > the amount of validated web pages that way; not improve it.
>
> I think it'd be reasonable to say the badge is permitted if the
> author, based on reasonable experience, is confident it *would*
> pass the W3C Validator.

That's pretty much what I had in mind when I wrote [1]:

    [...] The validator's current output for a valid page says
    "you may display this icon on any page that validates."
    (to be more precise, it should probably end with
    "...as this level of HTML.")

    If you use some other validation process (like another site that
    does true SGML validation, an HTML compliant editor, or some
    other SGML tool), I don't see why you can't display the W3C
    icons, since you can be fairly sure that W3C's validator will
    just tell you the same thing.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/1999JulSep/0200

> > Do you want the W3C to maintain a list of "approved"
> > validators? That would be a bit much to ask, IMO, as the work
> > involved would be significant.
>
> I don't agree. They're not obligated to evaluate each
> applicant. If all the experts on this list feel WDG's ok then
> based on that W3C could list the WDG service on its webpage.

I've been meaning to add some links to related services and tools
(in particular, client-side validators like Liam's A Real Validator,
http://arealvalidator.com/ ), I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator   http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/