Re: Stop guessing the DOCTYPE?

From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:40:56 -0500
To: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 09:28:25PM +0100, Terje Bless wrote:
> [ Braindump: apologies if it's a bit hasty ]
>
> Looking over the DOCTYPE guessing code recently, it occurs to me that this
> is really ugly. I'm tempted to remove it, but that would significantly
> impact the validators useability for certain things and documents. However,
> this could have been worked around as a side-effect of a feature on the
> TODO list. If the validator let you specify a DOCTYPE to use on the FORM,
> you could use it to either override an existing DOCTYPE (this is what's on
> the TODO list) _or_ to specify a DOCTYPE for documents lacking one.
>
> I haven't looked at this specifically, but I /think/ this is an easy
> feature to add. Does anyone have opinions on whether this is good enough to
> justify killing the DOCTYPE guessing code? You want to chime in here
> Gerald?

Sounds good to me. Once we have a form that allows people to select
a document type, we can probably just make it default to HTML 4.0
Transitional and get rid of all the hairy doctype-guessing code.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920
System Administrator   http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/