Re: Valid GIF

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 01:31:44 +0100
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On 09.11.99 at 13:02, Vivek Shankar <shankars@bom3.vsnl.net.in> wrote:

>The code for the image seems to be inapprporiate the 'gif extension is
>missing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ok. :-)

The filename extension is left out to let the server negotiate with the
client whether to return a GIF file or a PNG file. PNG is the preferred
format but not all clients can handle it so there has to be a fallback to
the GIF files. This will of course fail if the server running the validator
does not have content negotiation enabled.