Re: Why does this validate?

From: L. David Baron (
Date: Fri, Sep 24 1999

From: "L. David Baron" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:56:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re:  Why does this validate?

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 17:25:42 -0400 (EDT), "Richard Savill"
( wrote:

>     No errors found!
>  Congratulations, this document validates as HTML 4.0 Transitional!

> Second, in any case, percentage is illegal according to even the
> transitional DTD. I can't find where percentage is allowed here. Maybe I'm
> reading it wrong.

It's not illegal according to the DTD.  It's illegal according to the
language of the spec (and possibly comments in the DTD).  This language
could have been expressed in the DTD, but it wasn't.

for a full explanation.

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: >