Problems with & in URIs

From: Tim Clapp (
Date: Sun, Sep 19 1999

Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:41:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Tim Clapp <>
Subject: Problems with & in URIs

I get a lot of moans from the validator for URIs which contain &
characters: these are passed as arguments to a cgi script on another
site. The validator complains that the entity is not defined: surely
this should only happen on the body of the html, not in a URI. See for an example. I hope is is correct and this
is a bug in the parser. Please let me know otherwise.

I'm not on the mailing list, so please email me directly if you want a

Tim Clapp                   St. John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP
Signal Processing Group, Cambridge University Dept. of Engineering