Re: A question/point of interest

From: Liam Quinn (liam@htmlhelp.com)
Date: Tue, Sep 14 1999

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:33:18 -0400
From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
To: Staff <staff@pnl.gov>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re: A question/point of interest

Staff wrote:

> When validating some of our pages which included the code <BASE
> target="main"> I went through the W3C validator and passed with flying
> colors.  However running the pages through a HomeSite validator pointed
> out that BASE has href as a required attribute.  Checking the HTML 4
> spec I find:
>
> <!ELEMENT BASE - O EMPTY               -- document base URI -->
>  <!ATTLIST BASE
>    href        %URI;          #REQUIRED -- URI that acts as base URI --
>    >

That's for HTML 4.0 Strict.  HTML 4.0 Transitional specifies

<!ELEMENT BASE - O EMPTY               -- document base URI -->
<!ATTLIST BASE
  href        %URI;          #IMPLIED  -- URI that acts as base URI --
  target      %FrameTarget;  #IMPLIED  -- render in this frame --

So the HREF attribute is not required in HTML 4.0 Transitional (or HTML
4.0 Frameset).

If your document specifies an HTML 4.0 Transitional or HTML 4.0 Frameset
DTD (through your DOCTYPE [1]), then what you're seeing is a bug in the
Homesite "validator" (which AFAIK is not a real validator [2]).

[1] http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html
[2] http://arealvalidator.com/real-validation.html

--
Liam Quinn