Re: Bug in the validator?

From: L. David Baron (dbaron@fas.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri, Sep 03 1999

From: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:43:56 -0400 (EDT)
To: braden@shadow.net, www-validator@w3.org
Subject: Re:  Bug in the validator?

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999 02:15:18 -0400 (EDT), "Braden N. McDaniel"
(braden@shadow.net) wrote:

> A thread on Usenet revealed that the W3C validator proclaims the document at
> <URI:http://dramanetclub.gr/> is valid as strict HTML 4.0, despite the fact
> that the SCRIPT element on this page includes the deprecated LANGUAGE
> attribute. The WDG validator correctly notes the error.

This makes me think that the W3C validator is using the DTD from the
1997-12-18 draft of REC-html40 rather than the 1998-04-24 version.  See
the list of corrections between the two versions [1], where the last
item says:

  The language attribute for the SCRIPT element was not marked as
  deprecated. It is now, and it is no longer defined in the Strict
  DTD.

I think the validator should be using the DTD from the 1998-04-24
draft including the changes listed in the errata [2].

David

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/appendix/changes.html#h-A.2.1
[2] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html40-updates/REC-html40-19980424-errata.html