Implied end of HEAD element

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:22:11 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org
What determines the end of the HEAD element if the end (and
beginning) tags are omitted?

I had understood that it was the presense of elements not
found in %head.content + %head.misc that signalled the end
of the HEAD element, but when I feed the validator the
following file (found at http://www.kynn.com/test.html):

  <TITLE>This is an example of poor HTML</TITLE>
  <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="style.css">
    <P>This is an example of poor HTML</P>

I get this error:

Error at line 4:
      ^  document type does not allow element "BR" here

My expectation was that the <BR> would signal the end of the
HEAD element, and <BR> would pass fine, <LINK> would get flagged
as something that doesn't belong in a BODY element, and <BODY>
would get flagged because there's already a BODY element that
started when the <BR> was encountered.

This doesn't seem to be the case, though, and the parse tree
looks like this: (HTML tags omitted)
          This is an example of poor HTML
      AHREF CDATA style.css
      ATYPE CDATA text/css
      AREL CDATA stylesheet
          This is an example of poor HTML

Is this simply my misunderstanding of what should be happening?
If so, please illuminate me on how implied tags work. :)

Catch the Web Accessibility Meme!                   http://aware.hwg.org/
Next Online Course starts August 2         http://www.kynn.com/+nextclass
"Pissing off comic book fans isn't a business problem, it's a sport." -NK