Error in validator

From: Charles Saeger <rasputin@visi.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:07:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hello, I've caught an error in the validator as it relates to JavaScript.

On my title page, I have a counter JavaScript triggered by a cookie.  When
I run the validator, I get this for an error:

Error at line 153:   you have visited this page "+ hitCt + " times?</em>")
                 end tag for element "EM" which is not open
(explanation...)

There's a problem, of course.  I did open an <EM> tag earlier in the same
line:

153: 	document.write("<em>Does your mother know that you have visited
this page "+ hitCt + " times?</em>")

I suspect that because I used two separate segments, it caused an error,
though when printed the line is clearly valid HTML:

<em>Does your mother know that you have visited this page 3 times?</em>

Also, the validator didn't give me an error for opening an <em> tag and
not closing it (the above "error" was the only such one on the page), so I
suspect that it completely ignored the first segment.

--
Charlie Saeger						 rasputin@visi.com
Writer, Cynic, ResEditor			http://www.transdimnav.com