Re: TARGET attribute

Liam Quinn wrote:

> At 06:53 AM 28/01/99 -0000, David Meadows wrote:
> >You're right, but I was looking at the "human readable" specification, which
> >does not list the target attribute as depreciated.

The target attribute isn't deprecated as frames aren't deprecated.

> HTML 4.0 Strict is not only HTML 4.0 Transitional minus the deprecated
> parts.  It'd be easier to explain the difference between the two if that
> were the case, but it's not.  (IFRAME is another example of a
> non-deprecated element that is not in HTML 4.0 Strict.)

The "target" attribute is part of the loose DTD. However, it's
not deprecated because frames are not deprecated. (This was a conscious
decision by the HTML WG). Does this help clarify the issue?

[There is a bug in the documentation right now since the FRAME and
IFRAME elements refer to it (as an attribute defined
elsewhere, but pertinent). ]

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)