Re: Bug with TD width?

From: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:09:44 +0200 (EET)
To: www-validator@w3.org
On 5 Feb 1999, Morten Wang wrote:

> I validated the page http://home.sol.no/~skirnis/ a few minutes ago,
> and noticed that even though the page uses percentage values in the
> table cell widths there are no errors.

It's not a bug. In the formal syntax (the DTD), we have

<!ENTITY % Pixels "CDATA" -- integer representing length in pixels -->

which means that wherever %Pixels occurs, almost anything is allowed.

I have no idea why they decided to use CDATA there, despite the
restriction expressed in the comment and in the text of the
specification.

Changing CDATA to NUMBER would imply that the value must be
syntactically a nonempty sequence of digits (0 - 9).

Try validating http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/test/width.html
(which uses a DTD modified from HTML 4.0 Transitional by making
just that change).

--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html