Re: <NOFRAMES> in HTML 4.01 Strict

From: Lloyd Wood <eep1lw@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 20:41:00 +0000 (GMT)
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
cc: Christopher Atkinson <cwa@pipeline.com>, www-validator@w3.org
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> At 11:51 PM 12/21/1999 -0500, Christopher Atkinson wrote:
> >I am afraid that I may have caused some confusion due to lack of clarity in
> >my prior message: the pages I am trying to validate do not contain a
> ><FRAMESET>.
> >I am using frames-based navigation. I want to use <NOFRAMES> element on
> >non-frameset pages in the belief that this would make navigation available
> >for non-frames user agents. (Is this belief founded?)
>
> NOFRAMES goes -within- your FRAMESET document; putting it within an
> html document that does not contain a FRAMESET has no meaning and
> is not used by any user agents.

This has always irritated me, since it makes combining a frameset
with legit HEAD and BODY tags for non-frames browsers/head requests
tricky.

Compare the implementations of NOFRAME and NOSCRIPT. Grmbl. HTML could
be better-thought-out here...

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>