<NOFRAMES> in HTML 4.01 Strict

From: Christopher Atkinson <cwa@pipeline.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:51:55 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

Thanks for the pointers.

I am afraid that I may have caused some confusion due to lack of clarity in
my prior message: the pages I am trying to validate do not contain a
<FRAMESET>.

I am using frames-based navigation. I want to use <NOFRAMES> element on
non-frameset pages in the belief that this would make navigation available
for non-frames user agents. (Is this belief founded?)

I know that frames and frame based navigation remain controversial, but I
have (what I consider) good reasons for adopting it. I just want to make
sure that I don't exclude anyone by doing so.

Regards,

Chris Atkinson

P.S. Out of curiousity, I prepared experimental versions of a <FRAMESET>
page, one with <BODY> nested within the <NOFRAMES> element and one without.
Both validated against the 4.01 Frameset DTD.