Re: XHTML Support is Broken (was: Fwd: W3C Validator Error)

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 12:04:53AM +0100, Terje Bless wrote:
> On 05.12.99 at 21:51, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >>Error: could not get "/TR/xhtml1/DTD/strict.dtd" from "www.w3.org"
> >>(reason given was "Found")
> >
> >'Found' is Status 200, so wheres the problem?
>
> "Found" is 302; "OK" is 200.
>
> The Validator (or rather nsgmls) is probably barfing on the 302 which
> www.w3.org is returning; probably related to the XHTML 1.0 recall and
> imminent rerelease.

Yes, the XHTML spec editors moved the DTDs around since the last
revision of the spec, and www.w3.org does a redirect to serve the
old location, but SP doesn't grok redirects yet.

> As a wild guess, the URI that validator.w3.org has for the XHTML Strict DTD
> is wrong and www.w3.org is redirecting requests to the right location. If
> that's the case, it's a simple matter of pointing the validator at the
> right URI. That could be the aftermath of the addition of configuration
> files in the Validator (it may for some reason be unable to parse a config
> file and is fetching all DTDs remotely), but I don't think that change has
> landed on the live site yet.

The problem was that I was mistakenly setting $ENV{SP_CATALOG_FILES}
instead of $ENV{SGML_CATALOG_FILES}, so SP couldn't look up the FPIs
in the catalog, and relied on the sysids instead.

Of course it took me something like 3 hours to find that... duh.

Diff is at:

    http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/httpd/cgi-bin/check.diff?r1=1.54&r2=1.55

So I guess SP has been fetching the DTD for every XHTML validation
run until now; fortunately www.w3.org happens to be right next to
validator.w3.org. :)

(both machines are on this photo, somewhere:
    http://impressive.net/people/gerald/1999/11/19/100-0048.jpg
)

--
Gerald Oskoboiny       <gerald@w3.org>  +1 617 253 2920