Validator problems with HTML 4.0 "strict" DTD?

From: Gary Alderman <icgalder@ismc.osis.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 15:14:12 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
Gerald, et. al. --
I have ported the validator to a group of intranets not connected to the
internet.  (This required fairly large changes in "check".)

While most things are working OK,  there seems to be a problem with
validating to the "strict" HTML 4.0 DTD.  Whenever a document is processed
which calls for the "-//W3C/DTD HTML 4.0//EN" DTD, the validator returns
"Version of HTML selected: unknown".  Following this statement, the actual
HTML errors reported do *seem* to be consistent with the use of the proper
DTD.  Also, I do NOT get the "Cannot generate system identifier" message
which would appear for actual unknown DTD references.

The "$temp.esis" parser output does NOT contain the "VERSION CDATA"
line which "check" is looking for.

Can anyone suggest where I might have broken something to create this
kind of problem?  What should I be looking for? I'm definitely an SGML/sp
newbie.
(Unfortunately, I can't easily get stuff back from these intranets
to allow other folks to actually view the results, directory lists, etc.)

Can anyone suggest where I should be looking?
Thanks,

Gary Alderman