Re: [css-d] Trumping bad proprietary code.

From: Barney Carroll <barney.carroll@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 17:40:44 +0000
To: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <webdesign-l@rarpsl.com>
Cc: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@rhul.ac.uk>, "www-validator-css@w3.org" <www-validator-css@w3.org>, "css-d@lists.css-discuss.org" <css-d@lists.css-discuss.org>
On Tuesday, 6 November 2012, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

> Just so you are aware, zoom:1 is a Windows/IE hack/fix to set HasLayOut so
> the element displays correctly. Aside from making the code display
> correctly in IE, it has no downside/effect with non-IE browsers so you can
> ignore it (or consider it W3C compliant since its purpose it to make IE act
> W3C compliant).

This is what seals it for me. I don't have user testing studies to back the
assertion up, but generally I assume users prefer websites that work in
whatever browser they're using to seeing a 'W3C CSS valid' sticker at the
bottom.

And when it comes to inheriting code that doesn't match my own style, my
rule of thumb is to leave it be unless it causes problems and I feel
confident I understand and can circumvent the underlying reasons behind it.

--
Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll@gmail.com