Re: Rationale for the warning "Same colors for color and background-color in two contexts"?

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 11:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
cc: www-validator-css@w3.org
On Sun, 9 Oct 2011, David Dorward wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2011, at 14:58, Andreas Prilop wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Yves Lafon wrote:
>>
>>> it's a "be aware that unwanted things might happen" warning
>>
>> There is not a single warning for
>
> <snip>
>
>> Why not?
>

> Presumably because the problems are either blindingly obvious with the
> most basic testing (which the same foreground/background colour issue
> sometimes isn't), or because they are things that are hard to test for.
> I'm sure patches would be welcome.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20070517/Overview.html#visual-audio-contrast7
> would probably be helpful for anyone dealing with general contrast
> issues (#000001/#000000).

Well, testing for "close" colors depends on many factors, and are not as
easy as testing the distance between values, when they are equal, that's
easy :)
However, I completely agree that those warnings should be present only if
"all warnings" are selected. Warnings needs a serious clean up anyway,
both in the cssval and in the interface.

         ~~Yves