Re: Rationale for the warning "Same colors for color and background-color in two contexts"?

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> What is the rationale for issuing the warning "Same colors for color and
>> background-color in two contexts"? It seems that the warning is always
>> issued, with default settings, when one rule assigns the same value to
>> background-color as one rule assigns to color, e.g.
>
>> a { color: black; }
>> b { background: black; }
>
> Well.  Isn't it simply the case that we are discussing
> CSS, rather than CSS embedded in HTML, and therefore
> the CSS validator can have no knowledge as to whether
> an <a> element will be embedded in a <b> element, and
> therefore seeks to warn the user that such a usage
> would be ill-advised ?

Yes, it's a "be aware that unwanted things might happen" warning, you can
see in the advanced interface that there is a selection of "all", "normal"
,"most important" warnings.
The choice might be clearer, or the warning might output its severity in
the report...

--
Baroula que barouleras, au tiƩu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves