Non-ASCII letters trigger "Lexical error"

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 16:42:56 +0300
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>
Entering e.g.
 {}
in direct input mode at
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_input
results in the error message
Parse Error Lexical error at line 1, column 1. Encountered: "?" (63), after
: ""

As far as I can see, "" conforms to CSS identifier syntax and should be
accepted. If rejected, it should not be rejected as if a question mark "?"
had been entered.

I have tested various combinations, and it seems as if the W3C CSS Validator
does not accept non-Ascii letters in identifiers in general. I suspect this
is a recent problem. People have probably used the validator on stylesheets
with such identifiers, but I have not seen complaints about the issue until
very recently (and cannot find anything relevant to this in the archives -
searched with the word "lexical").

Yucca