Re: Validator yields error when type="text/css" not specified.

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Such a tag looks rather bogus to me: using an extra element, purported
> to simulate an HTTP header, to specify something redundant.
>
> More importantly, the W3C CSS Validator seems to ignore it: the <style>
> element content still gets discarded.

OK, I think that David Dorward has identified the reason for that,
in his intervening message; but more importantly, the prose goes
on to say "In the absence of an explicit declaration, the default
style sheet language is assumed to be CSS.", so with the benefit
of hindsight I think that your proposal to the Validator team is
justified.

But it is not clear why, if "In the absence of an explicit declaration,
the default  style sheet language is assumed to be CSS.", there is
still a mandatory "type" attribute on <style> elements as stated
by David :

David Dorward wrote:

> The type attribute is mandatory for style elements
> so that applies only to styles included via the style attribute.

Philip Taylor
--
Not sent from my i-Pad, i-Phone, Blackberry, Blueberry, or any
such similar poseurs' toy, none of which would I be seen dead