Re: Validator doesnīt repport error

info@mariagutebring.se wrote:

> My customer called and said that the two bottom pics at a page
> http://www.skinnarve.se/russ.html didnīt show. She and her friends
> uses IE and I had only checked the page in Firefox... so I tried IE
> and right she was...

The pics are actually there - just very far on the right, so that you need
to scroll a lot to see them.

> so I said, no problem I will validate it, itīs
> probably just a minor coding error...

That was somewhat overoptimistic. Validation covers only a small fraction of
errors that we can make.

> so I went to w3.org and validated both the html and the css and
> couldnīt get any fault verified?

There is no reportable markup error and no formal error in CSS code either.

The problem is apparently caused by the width="800%" attribute in the table
where the two pictures are. That's not a reportable markup error (actually,
markup validators accept virtually anything in the value of a width
attribute, since it is of type CDATA). You probably meant "100%" or "80%" or
"800" (I can't guess). A value of 800% means 8 times the available width,
and browsers treat this in different ways - Firefox seems to more or less
ignore it, while IE is doing something that might be seen as more logical.
:-)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/