HTML 5 and the type attribute

From: Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:12:35 +0200
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
Hi!

Consider this a bug report. I am not subscribed to the list, and use
this in the absence of a public bug database.

In HTML 5 it is legal, and it is been supported by every browser for a
long time, to omit the type attribute on the style element starting tag.

However, the CSS validator still seems to require the type attribute.
I.e. a page containing this code will have its CSS code validated:

/* CSS rules here */

This code will be ignored:

/* CSS rules here */

HTML5 makes this a bug and thus I think it should be fixed.

Best regards

--
Lars Gunther
http://keryx.se/