Re: Bug - By URI Validation - Value Error : content none is not a content value : none

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 11:21:07 +0300
To: <zoffix@zoffix.com>, <www-validator-css@w3.org>
Zoffix Znet wrote:

> If you validate http://stevensfuneralsupplies.com/ you'll see two
> errors for the print.css file:
> ( http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%
> 2Fstevensfuneralsupplies.com%2F&warning=2&profile=css3&usermedium=all
> )
>
>  Value Error : content none is not a content value : none
>
> The CSS2.1 Specification lists 'none' as a valid value for `content`
> property: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#propdef-content

But you have requested for "validation" against "CSS3" (which is a
collection of sketchy drafts that may change at any moment and should not be
cited except as work in progress). That's what the parameter profile=css3
means.

The really funny thing is that the newest draft labeled as belonging to the
"CSS3" family lists the value none as permitted for the property content:
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/#inserting3

So as far as there can be a bug in a program that checks against something
in draft status, here you have one.

> a[href^="mailto:"]:after { content: none; }

I wonder whether content: none could be replaced by content: "", but that's
a different issue. It would matter, though, if your pointy-haired boss or
teacher requires you to present a "clean validation report". :-)

> And if validated by "Direct Input" does not produce validator errors.

This, too, depends on the version ("profile") of CSS you "validate" against.
The default is "CSS 2.1".

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/