RE: Floats need explicit width??

From: Douglas Perreault CPA* CITP <doug@perreault.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:40:01 -0500
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>

David and Paul,

Sorry, I clicked on the link in the line "C.2.50  Section 9.5 Floats" and
didn't see the change referenced. Re-reading the message, I see the proper
reference and yes, I do now see the reference that floats are no longer
required to have an explicit width. Thanks for correcting me.

So, floats are NOT required to have an explicit width means that Paul is
correct... the warning is in error.

Re the earlier issue, yes, you're right, it seems to have gone away. Just
know it used to be a problem so thought it worth mentioning in case someone
is trying to reach the widest audience. The other thing that is affected if
one doesn't add an explicit width is the "text-align." We had some items we
wanted centered and it only worked once we added the explicit width. Trying
to create a horizontal menu that is centered on the page using floated list
elements doesn't work without declaring a width. It would be nice if it did.

--Doug