Re: w3c cant find css-file

Am 05.02.2009 um 12:51 schrieb wegener.wolfgang@t-online.de:

> Trying to check the css-validity of www.fwg-osterode.de I got the
> answer that www.fwg-osterode.de/css/comp.css cannot be found whereas
> it is there and can be found if e.g. you try to find this file in
> the adress-list of the browser. Until now checking the validity of
> my files was no problem and i did not make any changes with respect
> to css. Can you help me?

Looking into the sourcecode of http://www.fwg-osterode.de/ I see the
following:

<link rel="stylesheet"  type="text/css"  href="../css/druck.css"
media="print" >
<link rel="stylesheet"  type="text/css" href="../css/comp.css"
media="screen">

Your base URL is http://www.fwg-osterode.de/ . Correct?
The CSS files are located in http://www.fwg-osterode.de/css/comp.css
and in http://www.fwg-osterode.de/css/druck.css . Correct?

So why do you point inside your <link> element above one directory
back (../) instead of just starting from your base URL (/)?
I think, CSS validator tries to climb this one directory backwards and
naturally can't find these two CSS files, because they really are not
there but in the opposite direction of the path. :-)

I think, that notation would be better:

<link rel="stylesheet"  type="text/css"  href="/css/druck.css"
media="print" >
<link rel="stylesheet"  type="text/css" href="/css/comp.css"
media="screen">

Try it.

Regards, Sierk

--