Re: About XML declaration Re: To fix syntax errors of HTML files

On 5-Feb-09, at 1:35 AM, TAKAHASHI Makoto wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#normative
>
> says
>
>> An XML declaration is not required in all XML documents;
>> however XHTML document authors are strongly encouraged to
>> use XML declarations in all their documents. Such a
> declaration is required when the character encoding of the
> document is other than the default UTF-8

We use UTF-8 and try to follow the compatibility guidelines described
in:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#compatGuidelines

Notably:
[[
DO NOT include XML processing instructions NOR the XML declaration.

Rationale: Some HTML user agents render XML processing instructions.
Also, some user agents interpret the XML declaration to mean that the
document is unrecognized XML rather than HTML. Such user agents may
not render the document as expected. For compatibility with these
types of HTML browsers, you should avoid using processing instructions
and XML declarations.
]]

> And your DOWNLOAD.html.en about.html.en, ... include XML declarations.

True. I tried to hunt down a few just now, and removed them.

Thanks,
--
olivier