Re: Unexpected valid CSS

From: R.W. Crowl <silvermaplesoft@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 01:19:27 -0400
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>

Thank you to those who responded. I had, indeed, neglected that CSS applies
to more than just (X)HTML.

Of course, a context free grammar cannot detect that a selector is wrong,
nor can anything except a CFG be applied to an external CSS file. But
compilers make context-sensitive tests all the time. Page-level CSS (this
example) does have a context and "ody" is not a valid tag within any (X)HTML
DOCTYPE. I suppose it's too much to ask overworked W3C staff to add context
detection and testing, but is there anyone else out there who might want to
save himself and others from typos and similar egregious errors?

Thus I am in agreement with Paul Arzul and Olivier Thereaux.

R. W. Crowl