Fwd: Incorrectly Identifying Negative Text-Indent as Error

I owe an apology, it turns out it was a syntax error.  Interestingly the CSS
validator gives a misleading error, Dreamweaver validates, and Firefox and
Opera execute it correctly.

The mistake was that the ":" was missing after the "text-indent".     Since
the validator reported a "value error" and Dreamweaver WASN'T reporting a
validation error (I checked again just now,) and the browsers were executing
it, I looked at it but didn't see it.  I tried a number of values, but of
course they all gave the same error.

What I was doing was to compensate for the "Float+align left-first element
in a list is indented wrong" bug where other solutions had not worked.  This
solution worked in Firefox and Opera, even though it was technically
a syntax error (curious.)  When I validated the page, I got the "value
error" and my attention was focused on that.

I suppose the validator should detect the correct error and report it, but
I'm assuming that would be a different bug

Thanks for the response David, it made me look a bit closer.

--eric powell

eric powell
epic@pobox.com - eric.powell@wwcc.edu
+1 (509) 301-9310 Fax +1 (509) 593-4500