Re: Report page in validation service is not well-formed XML when the validation was successful

Svensson, Lars wrote:

>> I have no idea of why the report contains the spurious line 33,
>> containing just an unmatched "</a>" tag.
>
> Yes. That is the obvious error I mean. I might be mistaken, but to me
> this makes the document not well-formed (and thus automatically
> invalid since well-formedness is a prerequisit...).

Right. Quite right. I didn't think of it, since I'm so used to seeing
people confuse well-formedness with validity.

> Since the document is supposed to be XHTML, I guess
> the quotes must be mandatory anyway.

Right, so not quoting the href value causes somewhat different
confusion. Actually the validator says

Line 34, Column 51: an attribute value specification must be an
attribute value literal unless SHORTTAG YES is specified.

which is a somewhat indirect way of saying "you forgot the quotes,
dude!" and reflects the fact that the Markup Validator is really an SGML
validator hacked up a bit to sort-of work as an XML validator too.

Then confusion arises because in
the first slash is taken as part of markup...

But regarding the CSS Validator, it is sufficient that the markup is
fixed to use quotes (and the spurious "</a>" is removed).

Oh wait... there's still an error on lines 105 to 107:

        <ul id="lang_choice">

        </ul>

At least one <li> element must be present, or the <ul> element needs to
be removed.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/