correct content for http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/DOWNLOAD.html

From: Nelson Strother <xunilarodef@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:54:05 -0400
To: www-validator-css@w3.org

and correct content for:

I see sporadic questions about how to successfully compile have been
posed in the past on this list, and even in the vicinity of:
, but complete responses are so scarce that I have yet to find one.

  If one attempts the easy way out and merely downloads:

an attempt at using it may resemble:

[u@localhost Download]$ java -jar css-validator.jar http://www.w3.org/
   at org.w3c.css.css.CssValidator.main(CssValidator.java:164)
[u@localhost Download]$

If one wanders down the murky path vaguely described on the subject
page, after:
 - installing tomcat
 - http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/classes-2.2/20060329/jigsaw.jar
 - finding the relevant bits from xerces
 - http://ccil.org/~cowan/XML/tagsoup/tagsoup-1.2.jar
 - cvs checkout 2002/css-validator
An attempt to build with ant rewards one with a distressingly familiar

    [javac] 2. ERROR in /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/css-validator/org/w3c/css/css/C
ssValidator.java (at line 29)
    [javac] 	import org.w3c.tools.resources.ProtocolException;
    [javac] 	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] The import org.w3c.tools cannot be resolved

So one can download and find bits inside of:
which can be copied to a directory to satisfy this import.  Iterate, and
this time trip over:

    [javac] 23. ERROR in
(at line 16)
    [javac]     import org.apache.velocity.VelocityContext;
    [javac]            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] The import org.apache.velocity cannot be resolved

So a download from:

provides bits from velocity-1.5.tar.gz which satisfy this import.
Now the rubble is reduced to merely:

    [javac] 1175 problems (610 errors, 565 warnings)

Maybe most of the remaining errors arise from it not being easy to
find a suitably old (but unspecified) version of some of these other
packages.  Would someone like to describe the details in a fashion
that could allow others to let the computer worry about the
compatibility constraints, e.g. by following the clues in:

?  Or if we must use human wetware to find, select, install, move,
etc.  the appropriate versions of various other pieces of software,
could someone please record the trail of breadcrumbs they followed on
a specified date, so that others will waste less time on this task?