Re: Notify a constant bug

Thierry Cavalié wrote:

>   But when I write somewhere in my stylesheet "background-color :
> transparent" to match with this feature, in response the validator
> tell me "Vous n'avez pas de couleur de fond définie avec votre
> couleur" (that's mean in english : "you have no background color
> definite with your color").
>
>   That's realy a bug : a transparent color IS A DEFINED ONE, don't
> understand ?

No, transparent means lack of color. It means that the color or background
image of the "underlying" (in the sense of visual stacking) color shines
through. This color (or background image) can be just anything: it can be
set in a user style sheet, or some other style sheet, possibly resulting in
a clash with your foreground color.

The only safe way is to set color and background always together and to
specific values, not using transparent or inherit. Even this isn't safe
against badly designed user style sheets, but nothing is. But your pages are
expected to work together with technically sound user style sheets - and
"technically sound" means that _they_, too, always set color and background
together -, even if their styling might look odd to you.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/