Referer URI not encoded (Was: Long url bug)

Hello

On May 28, 2007, at 10:47 , GRUPO INNOVA wrote:
> I have the xhtml and the css validator  buttons on my website.
> the link to the xhtml (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer)
> is working well but when i try to validate the css (http://
> jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/check/referer) it gives me this error:
> I/O Error: http://grupoinnova.biz/pub/index.php?option=com_content:
> Not Found
> If i try to validate the css directly (http://
> www.publicidadinnova.com/pub/style.css) there is no problem but
> doing the validate from the button it give me the error. I think
> the error can be for the fact that the url is too long (http://
> jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://
> www.publicidadinnova.com/pub/index.php?
> option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=45)
> becouse validating the index page (http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-
> validator/validator?uri=http://www.publicidadinnova.com/pub/
> index.php) there is no problem.
> Thz

The problem is not so much the length of the URI, but it is a bug in
the validator.
The CSS validator, when called with check?uri=referer does a
redirection to validator?uri=http://the/real/URI...

The Referer URI has to be escaped (URI-encoded) otherwise parameters
in that URI will end up like

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http...?foo=bar&quz=zog
here, quz=zog is interpreted as being parameters *for the validator*
whereas the redirect should go to
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http...%3Ffoo%26bar%
3Dquz%26zog

I fixed the bug in the dev version of the validator. There is a small
technical issue  preventing me from updating the production instance,
but that should be solved within a few days, too..

Thanks.

--
olivier