Re: Css validation

Hello Sally,

On Sep 18, 2006, at 02:37 , Sally K wrote:

> I get the following error when I validate a page "including" the  CSS
>
> Please, validate your XML document first!
>
> Line 32
> Column 5
> The string "--" is not permitted within comments.

This is a sign that something is indeed wrong with your XHTML. For
reasons that would be a little long to explain here, the CSS
validator may be catching some problems with your XHTML which the
Markup validator would not catch.

You mention that you are using some form of include mechanism, but as
you know, the validators only check the final result, so I would
recommend loading the web page as it is actually served online, and
look at the line 32 of that page's code to find out what the error is.

Most probably you must be having some construct like
<!-- my  comment -- another comment -->
Which is incorrect.

See e.g this good resource on the WDG's site:
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/wilbur/misc/comment.html
And its simplified "rule of thumbs":
[[
An HTML comment begins with "<!--", ends with "-->" and does not
contain "--" or ">" anywhere in the comment.
]]

If you need any further help, please tell us the address of the
resource you're trying to check and fix.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
--
olivier