FW: Question on why my CSS file won't validate

Hello Andreas,

You surprised me today with a couple of posts, and I wanted to ask you
for some further elucidation regarding your responses.

> Don't use UTF-* for style sheets and especially don't use a byte order

> mark (BOM).

Do you provide this advise because the validator doesn't support BOM's?
Or because it's your personal opinion?  Or has the W3 issued a note or
something?  Since the CSS specification requires support for utf-8, your
comment surprises me.

And in a separate post, you said,

> Thou shall not use UTF-16 and UTF-32 on the Internet.

Again, is this a matter of personal opinion, or an official W3 stance?
Can you point me to the W3 document that explains this advice?  It
surprises me as well.  If utf-16 can't be used on the Internet, where
should it be used?

Best wishes,

Melinda