Re: [CSS Validator] help with two CSS Validator responses

* Wayne Smith wrote:
>I apologize in advance if these two questions are FAQ, but I couldn't
>find either in the "FAQ" or the "Reported Problems".  I just completed
>running approximately 450 CSS validations in the past two days.

Note that you can download the CSS Validator source code, compile it
and run it e.g. from the command line; this will reduce load on the
W3C server and might give you better results, depending on why you
are validating that many sites.

>1)	The following site does not CSS validate:
>
>	http://www.sandiego.edu/
>
>	I get the following response:
>
>	Servlet has thrown exception:javax.servlet.ServletException: Timed out
>
>	The site does not HTML validate, but the site does
>	not throw an error as it proceeds through HTML Validator.

I'm not sure what the problem might be here, emulating the request
headers of the CSS Validator gives a response, seems to be either a
problem with the network or some HTTP implementation issue on either
side; could you file a bug report for this using e.g.

  http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi?product=CSSValidator

Thanks.

>2)	The following site does not CSS validate:
>
>	http://www.alliant.edu/wps/wcm/connect/website/Home/Campuses/San+Diego+Campuses/
>
>	I get the following response:
>
>	I/O Error: (the URL above...) Not Found
>
>	Again, the site does not HTML validate, but the site does
>	not throw an error as it proceeds through HTML Validator.

You've probably not used the form to validate this but appended the URL
above to the Validator URL in which case the "+" signs would not be
interpreted as you'd expect. Use %2B in place of the "+" or use the form
which will do that for you.