Re: Your own example doesn't validate

From: John Smal <john@smal.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:09:53 +0100
Cc: www-validator-css@w3.org
To: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>

Op 27-feb-2006, om 15:09 heeft Jukka K. Korpela het volgende geschreven:

> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>
>> The text above the text area is "Enter the CSS you would like
>> validated:". Did you paste CSS or HTML into the area? From the
>> error mesage above it seems you pasted HTML. That does not work.
>
> The instruction is clear as such, but maybe the "CSS" part should
> be emphasized. After all, it is not quite logical that I can submit
> either HTML or CSS via URL, whereas via file upload or direct text
> area input only CSS can be submitted. There's surely some good
> explanation to this, but it's not intuitive - if the software can
> parse HTML and extract CSS from it via HTTP, I'd expect it to
> handle the apparently simpler case of doing so in direct input, too.
>
> By the way, the example mentioned is a bad example. It sets the
> color of an element without worrying about backgrounds at all, and
> thus it triggers a warning. This is of course a different issue - a
> matter of specifications, not tools - but I'm afraid some people
> might ask "why does a W3C tool complain about an example in a W3C
> spec?"
>
> --
> Jukka "Yucca" Korpela, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

The instruction isn't clear in the dutch localization of the CSS
validator!
In dutch:

"Valideer het bestand dat de stylesheet bevat door het te uploaden".

Translated:

"Validate the file containing the style sheet by uploading"

The english version of the same page:

"Choose the document you would like validated (CSS files only)"

Also, The restriction of "CSS files only" fails in our localized page.

By the way, Björn neglected the sentence:

> Some of definitions in the HTML file the validator does accept. The
> error statement is anyhow not comprehensible.

Not intuitive, I agree with Jukka. The validator should handle
embedded style sheets.

Greetings,

John Smal
john@smal.org