Re: Your own example doesn't validate

Op 27-feb-2006, om 14:38 heeft Bjoern Hoehrmann het volgende geschreven:

> * John Smal wrote:
>>       Parse error - Unrecognized : <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//
>> DTD HTML 4.0//EN"> <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Bach's home page</TITLE>
>> <STYLE type="text/css"> h1 { color: red }
>
> You can only paste style sheets into text areas, not HTML documents.
> --
> Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://
> bjoern.hoehrmann.de
> Weinh. Str. 22 · Telefon: +49(0)621/4309674 · http://
> www.bjoernsworld.de
> 68309 Mannheim · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://
> www.websitedev.de/

That's not consistent with http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/intro.html

I quote:

The HTML 4.0 specification defines how style sheet rules may be
specified for HTML documents: either within the HTML document, or via
an external style sheet. To put the style sheet into the document,
use the STYLE element:

[...]

For maximum flexibility, we recommend that authors specify external
style sheets; they may be changed without modifying the source HTML
document, and they may be shared among several documents.

End quotation.

Some of definitions in the HTML file the validator does accept. The
error statement is anyhow not comprehensible.

Greeting,
John Smal
john@smal.org
www.smal.org