RE: CSS Validation warning: You have no background-color with your color;

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Authors do not, in fact, consider such issues. Even you -
> apparently far better aware of the issue than most
> authors - keep demonstrating the very problem that the
> warning addresses. You continue the above statement by
> explaining why such "unexpected" things won't happen, in
> your opinion.

If I said it won't happen I was being unclear. I did not mean to imply that.
I am aware that when color contrasts within elements eventually are being
dependendant on (single) parameters elements higher up in the hierachy, you
run the risk of little or no contrast when introducing any alien style
sheet.

The danger lies in having the background-color of the underlying element
changed to, say, black instead of white, without changing other elements
color or changing the transparency property. It is possible this would
happen using transparency in general.

> This is just the attitude that needs some
> shaking. The shake might not have the effect that an
> author starts using CSS more robustly, but then again,
> authors _can_ ignore any warnings (and error messages) if
> they like.

So, in your view, you should never use transparency or at least never
specify color when using transparency?