Re: BUG? text-shadow doesn't exist

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006, R Walker (RMW Web Publishing) wrote:

> 100 h2 Invalid number : text-shadow Property text-shadow doesn't exist
> : 2px 2px 2px #dedede
>
> Which is strange as the words "text-shadow" link to
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/text.html#propdef-text-shadow which
> don't say anything about it not been valid CSS.

This is a symptom of the problem that the "W3C CSS Validator" was changed
to use "CSS 2.1 profile" (that's technobabble for using something like
some CSS 2.1 draft, with unspecified modifications, as the criterion for
"validity") by default. Moreover, the links were not modified: they
refer to CSS 2.0 no matter which "profile" is chosen. Since the current
CSS 2.1 draft - which should not be cited as anything but work in
progress, according to its own status statement - does not contain the
text-shadow property, you get an error message.

Click on the "More Options" link at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
to get a user interface where you can see the default for "profile" and
you can change that setting.

(Alternatively, use the utility with a CSS-disabled or
JavaScript-disabled browser, for a better browsing experience.
The page uses CSS and JavaScript to hide some essential controls by
default, including the control where you can see the default setting for
"profile".)

> I also think this maybe an error with the new Fuji' validator as it
> comes up 'Invalid number' for what looks to be an internal error
> number.

I think such bugs have existed in the "W3C CSS Validator" from the very
beginning. And I guess your hypothesis is correct: it ejects the "Invalid
number" text to describe its _own_ error in error reporting, in a rather
misleading way, since CSS style sheets might well contain constructs
describable as "invalid number".