Re: Bug Report: font-size-adjust

Jukka,

On Dec 18, 2006, at 21:35 , Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Shouldn't the "CSS Validator" be based on some objective,
> published, stable criteria, or at least be clearly announced as a
> lint-type heuristic checker (which contains some rigorousness as
> well)?

The decision to make CSS2.1 the default profile was taken after
careful consideration of:

* requests from the CSS WG, including explanations from experts that
CSS2.1 is closer to what implementations of CSS support than CSS2
* requests from real-world web developers, who have been using CSS2.1
on a day-to-day basis for a long time, and found it frustrating that
the old css2 would still be the default
* the will to encourage the adoption of CSS2.1, which will enter
candidate recommendation phase again very soon)

I have to note that I was at the beginning reluctant to make this
change, sticking, as you are, to the idea that "css2 is a rec, css21
is a working draft". After considering arguments from experts in CSS
and everyday users of the validator, we agreed that changing the
default was a positive way forward.

> Saying that a group "considers" that their draft "includes errata
> for CSS2" is false as a descriptive statement (it does not, include
> the errata, of course) and absurd as a prescriptive or
> interpretional statement, especially it is means that the CSS 2.1
> draft has the power of changing the content of the CSS 2.0
> specification.

For any further discussion on decisions and stance of the CSS WG (on
CSS21 or anything else), as I told David, and I will reiterate here,
please take discussion to www-style, which is a list the CSS Working
Group monitors, while, as far as I can tell, they don't monitor this
list.

--
olivier

[P.S: I will be away for a couple of weeks, and am very unlikely to
read this list. Others in the qa-dev team will be around, though.]