Re: strange CSS validator error

From: Benjamin Niemann <pink@odahoda.de>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:28:07 +0100
To: www-validator-css@w3.org

Hello,

Sean wrote:
> I am trying to verify the CSS on one of my pages and I am getting the
> following output:
>

>     Target: http://www.eternalrise.com/feedback
>
> Please, validate your XML document first!
>
> Line 13
>
> Column 3
>
> The element type "HR" must be terminated by the matching end-tag "</HR>".

> My pages validate fine when using the XHTML validator, and I'm not even
> using a "<hr>" tag, so I don't get it.
>
> Can you please check this out and get back with me, I would greatly
> appreciate it.

Strange indeed.
The only thing that I can see, is that you are using XHTML 1.1 and serve it
as text/html, which is not allowed. For XHTML 1.1 you must use
application/xhtml+xml.

If the document is served as application/xhtml+xml, the CSS validator does
work - try <http://testbox.puppetmaster.homelinux.org/feedback.xhtml>.
It also works with a XHTML 1.0 Strict doctype declaration, served as
text/html - see <http://testbox.puppetmaster.homelinux.org/feedback.html>.

But the error message is pretty confusing and looks like a bug of the
validator.

HTH

--
Benjamin Niemann