Validator incorrectly reports validity for case of illegal escaped newline (but only in certain cases)

From: Cecil Ward <cecil@cecilward.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:13:53 +0100
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>

I believe that the following CSS fragment is illegal, if my reading of CSS
2.1 and CSS 2 is correct, yet the validator reports no error.

--
Test case:

	element {color : red;  }\

IMPORTANT NOTE: to reproduce this defect, note the following conditions: (i)
a newline must be inserted immediately after the backslash, and (ii) it is
important that there be no other characters at all following the newline.
Test case checked using direct input mode, grammar CSS2 selected.
--

Reasoning: the escaped newline is only legal inside a string, if my reading
is correct. See the productions for "string1"/"string2" in CSS2 section D.2.

(An aside; FYI: note that the example
	element {color : red;  }\
	a {}
is rejected, which is as it should be.)