Re: Attribute order affects validation result

From: Christoph Schneegans <Christoph@Schneegans.de>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 03:30:17 GMT
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>

David Dorward wrote:

> Your document is being served as text/html, but isn't a valid
> XHTML 1.0 document that conforms to the Appendix C guidelines.

Spare me the propaganda. It's obvious that this problem is not caused
by violations of validity constraints or Appendix C guidelines, but by
the mere amount of characters that precede the namespace declaration.

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://schneegans.de/temp/space-preserve-fail.html>
still reports an error although the document is now valid and
HTML-compatible.

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://schneegans.de/temp/space-preserve-no-namespace.html>
produces the same result.

In both cases, it seems that the CSS Validator uses an HTML/SGML
parser instead of an XML parser because it can't detect a namespace
declaration. In particular, it ignores both XML declaration and
document type declaration which really doesn't make sense.

--
<http://schneegans.de/sv/> - XML Schema Validator                    |
<http://schneegans.de/xp/> - XHTML Proxy                             |