Re: missing background-color

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005, John V. Harris wrote:

> I need to know WHEN the validator started issuing WARNINGS for missing
> background-color.

It always has, as far as I know. A recent release (16 September) has
made these warnings cover more cases (cascading, transparent background
color, etc).

Please note that these are warnings given to help CSS authors create
better content, not validation errors. I suspect most of the complaining
about these warnings come from the fact that the output of the validator
does not make it clear enough what severity is meant by errors and
warnings.

We are looking into making these warnings (at least the ones for
transparent background) less prominent for those who prefer to have only
warnings for serious issues, and still keep it for those who would
rather see all potential issues.

> Please do NOT tell me when it was added to the
> standard, I have SEVERAL archived editions of an online newspaper that
> were checked, and the validator said "no errors or warnings found".

Remember that the validator is not an authoritative checker, it's a tool
- not without bugs - made to help people reach the goal of producing
better content. Our case today involves warnings, but is not impossible
that a bug fix will bring an "invalid" result for documents that would
previously validate, and it would be wise, in such a case, to take the
change as a progress toward better content rather than complain about
the loss of a "valid X" icon.

Regards,
--
olivier