Re: german css validation message - umlauts are not encoded

From: Manuel Strehl <manuel.strehl@stud.uni-regensburg.de>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:40:51 +0200
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>

I mentioned this exactly about 3 or 4 weeks ago under "Error in the German translation". This was the answer by Olivier Thereaux (also viewable in the mailing list history on w3.org):

Hello Manuel,

On Sat, May 14, 2005, Manuel Strehl wrote:

>> It is very nice, that the answer is in German,
>> like the lang-attribute on my page was telling.

Actually, the results are in german because your browser is set up to
prefer german among the various languages the CSS validator supports,
but I digress from the ponit of your message.

>> But the provided text on the validator page contains spelling mistakes
>> so that all german umlauts are delivered as "?". I looked up the
>> source code and either it is really wrong in the text (maybe because
>> of bad copy & paste) or there is a mistake in server side handling of
>> the charakters.

I believe the cause of the problem is a discrepancy in the encodings
used. I remember Yves worked on this a while ago, and I will check with
him. In the meantime, since I recall that part of the solution was to
recode the properties files in utf-8, I have done so for the properties
in german (in CVS, not yet on the validation service), and will followup
on the general encoding issue.

Thanks for your patience.

---Hopefully they fix this bug.

Manuel