Errors parsing border property?

From: Robert Marcano <robert@marcanoonline.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:23:39 -0400
To: www-validator-css@w3.org

I have found a rare error when checking my CSS.. if you go to:

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marcanoonline.com%2Fplog%2F&usermedium=all

The validator will say the CSS is correct, but it is showing a different
property value on one line:

the original CSS says

..rm-postcomment  {
  border : 1px dashed transparent;
}

the validator shows

..rm-postcomment  {
  border : 1px dashed inherit;
}

when using the referer method to check the CSS (from my site
http://www.marcanoonline.com/plog/ follow the CSS link at the bottom) an
error is found:

Line: 261 Context : .rm-postcomment

Invalid number : border Too many values or values are not recognized :
1px dashed transparent

apparently the problem here is the "transparent" color value, but the
CSS 2.1 spec refer to the "border-top-color" property:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/box.html#propdef-border-top-color

and it allows transparent. I use this transparent border to leave a 1px
space where a non transparent border will be show when the element is in
hover state, and it works in Mozilla based browsers

Robert Marcano
web: http://www.marcanoonline.com/

gpg --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu/ --recv-key 72A0DCFD