Re: Warning on font-size: with absolute values

Hello Maciej,

On Jan 19, 2005, at 8:36, Maciej Korzeniowski wrote:
> Might I suggest that the CSS validator issue a warning when a
> font-size is used with an absolute value (px or pt) as this
> renders useless the Text Size setting in Internet Explorer.
> Many sites (esp.
>  fora) overlook this, making for a difficult read on higher monitor
> resolutions.

The suggestion is a good one (we actually have one QA Tip about it[1])
but this is unfortunately beyond the realm of validation. The (CSS)
validator is supposed to be an arbiter on whether a document follows
the specification, and not whatever superset of rules could be seen as
"good practices".

For this reason, it is my understanding that warnings should be kept
for constructs that are frowned upon, but not forbidden, by the
specification. And unfortunately I can not find such statement in the
CSS spec for the units in font sizes...

[1] http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/font-size

Thank you,
--