Re: Unable to find style sheet when charset is specified in MIME-type

From: Jeff Carr <w3.org@jeffcarr.info>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:25:44 -0600 (CST)
To: www-validator-css@w3.org

Regarding your message:

> Hi.
>
> If the style sheet location is specified like this:
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css" type="text/css;
> charset="utf-8"/>
>
> the style sheet is not found by the validator. If the charset
> specification is removed, the style sheet is found and validated. Case
> (UTF-8 or utf-8) does not make a difference.

I realize you asked this over a month ago, but I just joined the mailing
list, and I believe that Bjoern answered a different issue than your
specific question.

The string:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css" type="text/css;
charset="utf-8"/>

Contains an error, it should read:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="stylesheet.css" type="text/css"
charset="utf-8"/>

With [type="text/css;] changed to [type="text/css"].

It looks like you may have cut your text out of a meta tag similar to this
one:

You'll notice that in this case the whole string [text/html;
charset=utf-8] is contained within quotes.

I hope that either helps or you already figured it out,

Jeff Carr